The growing popularity and acceptance of sex toys over the years have now resulted in a burgeoning sexual wellness space catering to a wide range of desires and preferences for people of all genders.
Contrary to popular opinion, sex toys for men are revolutionizing the way people view male pleasure in India. While we discuss the role of male sex toys in making pleasurable experiences accessible to and fun for penis owners, an important factor that weighs in is the choice of lubricant.
While individual preferences vary, the ideal lubricant for male sex toys such as strokers, and fleshlights, among others, is the one that takes into account elements including compatibility, ingredients, overall feel, and safety.
This article would cover some of the aforementioned factors to help you make well-informed choices about what lubricant works best for male sex toys.
What is a lubricant?
Literally speaking, a lubricant’s primary purpose is to reduce friction between any surfaces that are in direct contact with each other. Applying this to a sexual context, a personal lubricant or lubes are substances/products that are designed to enhance and elevate pleasure and comfort during sexual intimacy.
From water-based lubes to ones that are oil-based or silicone-based, lubricants come in all forms and offer a wide variety to choose from. Lubes can be directly applied to your intimate area/genitals, or onto a toy or condom for a smoother, mess-free, and enjoyable experience.
Why are lubes important?
A lot of times, the role of lubricants is underestimated in sex, and people often view it as an accessory, rather than an essential complement to a pleasurable time, whether you’re engaging in solo or partnered sex. Lubes are a total game-changer in the bedroom, and can significantly revolutionize the way you experience pleasure and orgasms.
For men especially, the penis doesn’t produce natural lubrication in as good an amount as the vulva. Hence, lubricants enable penis-havers to feel good, and comfortable, and have fun during any sexual experience.
Types of lubricants available for men
In the recent past, there have been a lot of pop culture references glorifying the use of body lotion, oils, and whatnot when it comes to men and masturbation. The idea of using a product like a water-based lube specially designed for intimate purposes has almost always been missing from the larger discourse around male pleasure.
In reality, lubricants play a great role in enhancing sexual experiences for men, providing increased comfort, reducing friction, and amplifying pleasure. Let’s look at some of the options available in the Indian market for men:
Water-based lubeFor men and people with penises, water-based lubes are the most common and widely available option out there. And, it's for more reasons than one.
- Water-based lubes work with a variety of condoms and sex toys
- They are easy to clean and manage
- These lubes are super light, and have a natural feel.
Cons of water-base lube
- Most water-based lubes need reapplication during a lengthy sesh since they tend to evaporate
However, it's important to be mindful of the ingredients because this parameter is exactly what separates an average lube from the best water-based lube.
With the increasing awareness around creating clean & sustainable products, there are some lubes in the market that offers all-natural alternatives. They are suitable for most skin types, including delicate skin, and are less prone to triggering allergic responses.
One such water-based lube is That Sassy Thing’s DTF water-based lube that’s super versatile, smooth, and mimics the natural lubrication of the body. And, it’s enriched with aloe vera and is 100% natural with no chemical additives such as glycerin, parabens, or any artificial colors, flavors, odors, etc.
Oil-based lubricantsOil-based lubricants have a thicker and slicker texture than other forms of lubricants.
- They provide long-lasting lubrication and hence can be used during solo or partnered play
- Oil-based lubes are ideal for those who enjoy a more substantial feel.
- Not recommended for use with latex condoms, since they can cause breakage.
- Since it contains oils, they are not compatible with all male toys, especially the ones made from materials such as plastic, silicone, etc.
Silicone-based lubesThese are widely known for their enduring lubrication and luxurious feel. They are hypoallergenic and don’t cause any skin irritation in most cases.
- Silicone-based lubes are highly resistant to water, making them ideal for use in the shower
- Offer a unique silky-smooth sensation, and can last for exceptionally long periods of time
Cons of Silicone-based lubes
- While they may be compatible with latex condoms, silicone-based lubes should NEVER be used with silicone sex toys for men such as fleshlights since they can potentially damage the product
- It can get messy cleaning up after using silicone-based lube and hence isn’t preferred for solo play
Why should you use lubricant with male sex toys?
Lubricants, especially water-based lubes are your best pick when it comes to sex toys for men and penis owners. Using the best water-based lube you can get your hands on ensures that you can slip and slide while going solo with your toy. Here’s how lubricants can help with sex toys for men:
- It can significantly boost pleasure, and minimize any unnecessary friction between the penis (or other parts) and the toy.
- Taking an example of the most popular male toy, the classic fleshlight. Fleshlights are designed to simulate penetrative action similar to what you would engage in with a partner.
- Just like any good sexual experience, lubes make all the difference and help you get from level 0 to 1000 with a single application (feel free to use as much as you’d prefer).
While there’s no one right way to use a water-based lube like DTF with your fleshlight or any other male sex toy, make sure you read the ingredient list carefully to ensure that it’s safe to use for YOU, and so you can have a great, hassle-free experience by yourself or with a partner.
What’s the takeaway?
By understanding the different types of lubricants available for men and penis-havers, one can choose the most suitable option to elevate comfort, reduce friction, and maximize pleasure while going solo with a male sex toy or playing with a partner.
And so, water-based lubes are generally safe, versatile, and compatible with most sex toys for men. Communication and experimentation with different lubricants can contribute to a more pleasurable and satisfying sexual experience for everyone, regardless of their gender or sexuality.