In today’s day and age, skincare is an inseparable part of everyday life. Some of you might be spending hours picking the correct active ingredients and understanding skin-type compatibility for your face and body, and rightfully so. Then why is it that when it comes to your intimate health and well-being, the same enthusiasm is seemingly missing?
Personal lubricants, such as water-based lubes, are an undeniably important part of one’s sexual lifestyle. But due to years of faulty conditioning around sex and stigmatization, there has always been a lack of helpful resources based in the Indian context that could help people make the right choice in selecting pleasure products that are best suited to their needs and preferences.
In this guide, let’s delve into the basics of lubricants, their role in enhancing sexual experiences, and how you can pick the best one from the options available.
What are lubes?
Personal lubricants, often known as intimate lubricants or lubes, are products that are intended to heighten sexual pleasure and provide comfort by minimizing friction during sexual experiences. They come in various forms, including water-based lubes, silicone-based lubes, and oil-based lubricants.
Lubes have several benefits. Not only do they make different sexual activities feel more pleasurable and enjoyable, but water-based lubes are especially beneficial for people who experience vaginal dryness or discomfort during intercourse.
They can also enhance sensations, especially while engaging in penetrative sex or during solo play alongside sex toys.
Does using lube really make a difference?
Lubricants, or lubes, are irreplaceable when it comes to the idea of sexual and intimate wellness. They can greatly contribute to elevating your sexual experience in the following ways:
- Minimizing Friction: At its foundation, lubricants are designed to reduce any unnecessary yet inevitable friction that all parties may experience during a sexual encounter. Whether it's intercourse, oral stimulation, or the use of personal massagers, lubes ensure a smoother and more enjoyable ride, one without the risk of discomfort, irritation, or pain.
- Comfort & Care: Many water-based lubes such as DTF by That Sassy Thing have natural ingredients such as aloe vera that not only moisturize and hydrate the skin in the intimate area but also offer a gentle, cooling sensation while promoting a more comfortable and pleasurable experience.
- Heightened sensations during play: Lubes can deeply enhance the sensations felt while having a solo or partnered session. The slippery and silky texture can intensify tactile sensations, making physical touch (that of your partner or the feel of your toys against or inside your genitals) more arousing and satisfying.
- Versatile use, anywhere & everywhere: Not all, but some water-based lubes (including our DTF) can be used in various intimate scenarios including (but not limited to) penetrative sex, masturbation, oral play, and while using sex toys on yourself or a partner. It’s unflavoured and pH-balanced, to ensure safety while you indulge in pure fun.
In general, using lubricants, especially all-natural water-based lubes, offers more space for endless exploration and experimentation. They can be incorporated into foreplay or sensual massages, adding an element of novelty.
Know the types of lubes
Water-based lubes: The most popular and adaptable choice is water-based lubricants. They are mess-free, so clean-up is easy; they work with most sex toys for men and women; and they are condom-friendly.
- Most forms of sexual activity ranging from masturbation to intercourse.
- Many people use it for easy insertion of menstrual cups
Silicone-based lubes: Silicone-based lubricants, on the other hand, provide silkier and more durable slipping and sliding. They are waterproof and perfect for use in the shower.
- Sexual experiences that require more lubrication such as butt play, etc.
- The best pick for shower sex or water play
Oil-based lubes: Oil-based lubricants that are based on natural oils have a thicker texture than water-base lubes and are popular for sensual massages and solo play since they can damage latex condoms.
- Solo play and mutual masturbation
- Sensual massages or erotic foreplay with your partner
How can I pick a lube that's best for me?
With the growing number of options in the sexual wellness market in India, you may feel overwhelmed or confused as to what works best for YOU. Fret not, here are a few points you could consider while shopping for an intimate lubricant:
Ingredients and Composition: The most important aspect of choosing the right lube is to ensure that you’re aware of the composition of the product. This means if the lube has a water base, for instance.
Then, you should also check all the ingredients to ensure you aren’t allergic to them or if they are good for your body. While designing our water-based lube DTF, we ensured that we bore it all on our product labels. Our lubricant is 100% natural and enriched with aloe vera, tea tree, flax seed, and lemon extracts, so you can have all the fun safely.
- Intimate Needs and Preferences: Based on what you need the lubricant for, you can further streamline your options. Water-based lubes are the most versatile and can be used during a variety of sexual activities.
- Functionality and Adaptability: For a lube to be good for you, it should make feel comfortable and natural. Our water-based lube DTF is similar to natural vaginal lubrication in consistency, and because it’s lightweight, it doesn’t interfere with your sexual experience in any way, but rather adds on to it.
TLDR: Lube is your best friend
And just like how your comfort level improves over time with a trusted friend, lubes also take a little bit of getting used to for you to know which ones work better for you, depending on your and/or your partner’s needs. Regardless, water-based lubes are more versatile and a great starter lubricant for enhancing comfort during sexual experiences and exploring new avenues when it comes to your pleasure.